Friday, November 13, 2015

Red Cups and the Pharisee's Prayer

Shortly after the red cups came out, I posted the following on my Facebook profile:

The way I respond to secularization of Christmas is to stand at the doorway of my church before Christmas Mass and wish everyone who walks in a Merry Christmas in my warmest voice, paying particular attention to those who may be arriving alone.

I also suspect there will be plenty of people in Christian run shelters, nursing homes, hospitals, and soup kitchens who will happily receive Christmas greetings.

If we're looking for Christ in our consumer purchases from big corporations, we're looking in the wrong place.

I received a good amount of positive feedback for this.

As the trickle of responses to this controversy developed into a flood, I started to feel a little bad about it. The number of people mocking those who were outraged seemed to greatly outnumber the people actually outraged. and it felt like I was part of a bullying mob.

Also, the criticisms began to sound like a modern version of the Pharisee's prayer.  I'm thankful I'm not like those other Christians who waste their time and energy getting mad about red cups. I care about homelessness, racism, the unborn, etc....

There was a tone of that to my message as well, though I also want to believe I meant it as earnest advice. I do find the need to stifle my holiday greetings to be a bit painful. For sure, it is not the worst pain in the world, and is probably not as intense as the pain non-Christians may feel of being excluded, but it is nonetheless real. I was suggesting some outlets for where to take that.

It did not come off that way, particularly in the context of a flood of mockery.

But was there value in this?

I suppose there was.  Absent this, the story would have been driven by the few who were outraged and atheists pointing to it as evidence of how screwed up those Christians are that they get bent out of shape over how Starbucks does or not decorate their cups. This provided an opportunity to demonstrate that those being outraged represented a tiny minority, and that most Christians actually are more concerned about human suffering than the degree to which big corporations validate their beliefs.

At the same time, I think we have to be careful that we're not putting ourselves above our fellow Christians.  It's a tough balance between speaking the truth about who we are and not lording it over other people.

Besides, observing what's happened to Halloween as its become separated from All Saints Day makes me wonder if the concerns about secularization should be so quickly dismissed.
Post a Comment