Sunday, November 01, 2015

My Case For Mercy

I am generally disposed to favor the position of mercy, and allowing their return to the Eucharist for some divorced remarried couples.

What follows are my reasons for having this disposition. It is not an air-tight theologically rigorous case for this position. It is likely driven by some sloppy thinking that I will be embarrassed by later as I (hopefully) grow in understanding. But it's a snapshot of where I am now, and I want to be transparent about it.

I am generally opposed to using access to the sacraments, in particular the Eucharist, as a tool of doctrinal discipline. I have not supported efforts to pressure bishops to deny the Eucharist to pro-choice politicians (though I would support bishops who decide to do so), nor when this tactic was turned against those who favor torture.

Jesus's words are that those who do not partake of the Eucharist will die. That it is more vital to our eternal survival than actual physical food. I wouldn't discipline my daughters by denying them food, and this seems to me what denying the Eucharist to divorced remarried Catholics is akin to.

And it seems antithetical to the Jesus we encounter in the Gospels. Who tells the story of the Father running out to meet the Prodigal Son. Who offers Living Water to the woman at the well. I understand the temptation to build a Jesus in our own image and likeness, but it is still difficult for me to imagine the Jesus I encounter in the Gospels refusing the woman from the infamous phone call to Pope Francis (commentary on this is so polarized that I'll just link to a Google search on it).

To which one might respond that the divorced remarried are actively engaged in mortal sin by their continued involvement in their second adulterous marriage.

But it seems to me this proves too much. We Americans are all part of an economic system that continues to deny justice for the poor. A legal system that denies the right not to be killed to the unborn. That was wreaked destruction on the environment. And has been guilty of things like slavery, segregation, and destruction of native populations that we all now recognize as terrible injustices. And we are all, to some degree, implicated in them. Jesus seemed as concerned about these type of things as He was about adultery.

Now, we have not actively chosen to do so in the same way that someone who has entered into a second marriage has. But it does seem to me that one who would deny a repentant person in a second marriage communion for this reason, is a strong supporter of one of our two major political parties, and receives communion weekly without a bit of fear and trembling is engaging in a bit of selective outrage.

Again, this is what motivates my feelings. I'm am not saying this is what should motivate anyone else. And I will assent to whatever decision the magisterium comes up with. But this is why I welcome the conversation.

Next: why the merciful approach may not be currently prudent.
Post a Comment