Monday, May 21, 2007

It's like Christmas; it must be bad!

On balance, I think the immigration bill seems like a reasonable compromise, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

One way not to do that, at least for this Christian who kind of likes Christmas, is to compare it to Christmas, and act as if that was self-evident proof of the imprudence of the measure.

I get the point -- these people broke the law; why should they get goodies? Fine.

But the goodness of Christmas is that grace is unearned. The comparison gives me pause.

----

I also have to say I am beyond tired of the GOP tactic of labelling legislation they don't like with an extreme pejorative term. The immigration compromise is an "amnesty" bill. I timeline to leave Iraq is a "surrender" bill. Etc. I don't know whom they think they're fooling with these labels, but I'm not one of them.
Post a Comment