Friday, May 25, 2007

Citizen reporting...


I was on this bus this morning, and I'm fine. From what I can tell the other passenger's injuries were not life-threatening, though it was obviously kind of a scary scene.

I was sitting about 3/4 of the way toward the back of the bus, playing a hand-held game, not looking where we were going. In noticed us heading toward the shoulder, and I figured we were swerving to avoid something, but we never straightened up and kept plowing off the highway, through the fence, across the smaller road, through a row of trees and into the parking lot. According to the news stories, the driver apparently blacked out, so I'm not sure how we stopped -- if he came to and hit the breaks, or what.

Pathetic blogger-reporter that I am, in spite of having a camera-phone and laptop with me, the attached picture is the recording I have from the incident.

Reflections -- I have been without a car for the past 8 months, and this is the second somewhat serious accident I have been in while being driven by someone in a professional capacity, after never being in a serious accident in 14 years driving myself (or being driven by my parents or wife). My sense is relief -- I kind of feel like I've gotten in my share of accidents, and been OK, so I should be in the clear for a while. Of course, there's no rational basis for the notion that just because I've been in one accident I won't be in another, just like one coin flip being heads doesn't impact the next coin flip.

Another note is that I just barely made the bus, and was going to sit in one of the front seats that faces the middle, but then changed my mind and sat further in the back in one of the seats facing the front. If I were in the front, I'm quite sure I would be in much worse shape. As it was, when the bus started veering off, I grabbed the handle on the seat in front of me, and stayed in the seat.

Other media reports:
Post a Comment