Thursday, February 08, 2007

My letter to John Edwards

Dear Former Senator Edwards,

I am writing to you about your decision to retain Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan, in spite of the recent comments from that have been brought to light.

In your statement on the matter, you write, "I've talked to Amanda and Melissa; they have both assured me that it was never their intention to malign anyone's faith, and I take them at their word."

Among the comments in questions are these from Ms. Marcotte:

Q: What if Mary had taken Plan B after the Lord filled her with his hot, white, sticky Holy Spirit?

A: You’d have to justify your misogyny with another ancient mythology.

As far as I can tell, there are three possible ways to reconcile your statement with the above quoted passage:

  1. Ms. Marcotte did not intend to malign my religion, but is a completely incompetent communicator. Nevertheless, you hired her as your campaign's blogger. You do not mind having incompetent people work on your campaign, and likely would not mind having incompetent people working for your administration. This is good information to have in determining whether to elect you.
  2. Ms. Marcotte did intend to malign my religion, but managed to convince you that she did not. Thus, you were duped. That you are easily duped is also good information to have in deciding whether to vote for you, especially in light of mistakes made by the current administration.
  3. Ms. Marcotte did intend to malign my religion, you recognize it, but you've all agreed to pretend that something obviously meant to offend was not in fact intended to offend. Ms. Marcotte is not being honest, and you're going along with it, because you would rather alienate people like me than appear "weak." Sounds a bit like our current president.

All three of these conclusions would lead me to not support your campaign for president; indeed they would lead me to most vociferously oppose it.

I understand that it is probably unreasonable for me to expect Democratic campaigns to embrace orthodox Catholic morals about secuality. But I do expect better than contempt. And when called on that contempt, I expect better than dishonesty.

Post a Comment