Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A TREND I'D LIKE TO SEE STOP
One of the tings that always bugged me about Clinton was how whenever he signed a somewhat controversial bill, he would surround himself with the most sympathetic beneficiaries of that bill. So, if he were to sign a bill limiting appeals for death row inmates, he might surround himself with the families of murder victims. If he were to veto it, he might surround himself with people whose murder convictions were later reversed. The message was, "You can oppose me if you want, but then you'd also be opposing these poor people here, and you wouldn't want to do that, would you?"

It seems that Bush has taken this tactic to the next level, by doing his "address to the nation" from a military base surrounded by soldiers. The implicit message is, "If you oppose what I'm saying here, you're opposing these great men and women who are working hard and risking their lives." And I think it stinks.

I wish presidents would let their words speak for themselves, rather than feel the need to draw capital from good people.
Post a Comment