Monday, September 27, 2004

WHERE I'LL GO ON THE PRO-LIFE MOVEMENT

I'll help movements that aid women with unexpected pregnancies, and give them the resources to help them choose life.
I will support pro-life legislation, including bans on research that destroys embryos.
I will make abortion the first and most important issue when choosing which candidates to support and vote for.
I will support my bishop if he judges it appropriate to deny communion to pro-choice politicians (a mine has).

I will not badger my bishop (or any other bishop) if he does not judge it appropriate to deny communion to pro-choice politicians.
I will not protest Catholic insitutions that honor pro-choice politicians or host pro-choice speakers.
I will not blast bishops for meeting with pro-choice politicians.
I will not work to drive people who support pro-choice politicians out of the Church.

Basically, if it's more than one degree removed from either preventing an actual abortion or providing justice for its victims, I'm out.

I think the problem that the pro-life movement faces right now isn't that people don't think we're not serious about it or think it's important; but they see us as self-rightous prigs, and don't really want to be associated with us.

The facts are on our side. 3-D ultrasound, and the experiences of women who have had abortion are making it more and more difficult to deny the great tragedy of abortion.

This is an opportunity for us to reach out and pull more people onto our side. But I fear that when they come to check us out, they see us spending more time making sure everyone is absolutely pure than in stopping the killing. And they're turned off. They think we're not serious about saving unborn lives. And they go away.

If you're interested in stopping abortion, I'm with you. If you're interested in taking this pro-choice politician down a peg so that you can take his spot, then you best move along.

And the same goes for marriage.
Post a Comment