Monday, October 27, 2003

I HATE THIS COLUMN
Jonah Goldberg makes the case for hate.

I hate Stalin. I hate Hitler. I hate Kim Jong Il, Yasser Arafat, Saddam Hussein, Mumia Abu Jamal, and people who feel the need to be cruel to dogs.

I disagree. As much as we might hate what these men have done, when we give in to the temptation to hate them personally we invite disaster.

Take Saddam. The most charitable version of the events leading up to the Iraq war is that Bush and other members of the administration truly believed that Saddam had WMD's. I also believe several of them would say they hate Saddam.

Do you think one might have to do with the other? Saddam is guilty of many hateful things, but it appears that developing a large WMD program in the past few years is not among them. It seems pretty clear to me that "hatred" of Saddam would lead to looking at the WMD evidence less skeptically.

The cost? Well, the Administration has lost a lot of credibility.

Hatred is a bad idea, even when it's justifiable. We need to fight against it, rather than wear it like a badge of honor.
Post a Comment