Tuesday, June 24, 2003

DEFENDING DREHER
Yes, you read that right.

Kevin Miller runs the follwing quote:

This week, I spoke with a faithful young orthodox priest of my acquaintance, and he said, "I've decided I can't pay attention to the bishops anymore. There's too much work to be done to serve the Lord to worry about those men." I think this is probably the only sane way through this mess, just pretending that this hapless bench of bishops doesn't exist. But think about what that means for Catholics, to recognize that our bishops are so pathetic and irreformable that they are an impediment to faithful Catholic living, and should thus be ignored as much as is possible.

then goes on about how good Catholics can't ignore the bishop's teaching.

But I don't think that's what the priest was saying. I think the priest was saying that he's not going to obsess over every little piece of news about bishops, and focus on his work. Dreher says that's pretty sad, and I think he's going to far, but I don't think either of these men are advocating ignoring the bishops when they teach.
Post a Comment