Wednesday, September 11, 2002

TODAY'S THOUGHTS
I'm not sure how I feel today.

I haven't posted, not because of some memorial, but for lack of anything to say. I don't think 9/11 should be a holiday, and I think refraining from our normal activities is exactly the wrong response.

I have been actively avoiding the network coverage of events, because I generally can't stand the way the networks handle anniversaries like this with their mawkish soft-focus interviews. I feel compassion for the victims, but I just don't feel like watching a story about babies who were born after their fathers died on 9/11, or couples that met while digging through the rubble, or group interviews with families of victims.

I also don't think it's a time to beat our chests and proclaim how great we are as a country. The flag-waving was appropriate to show unity in the immediate aftermath -- I don't see much purpose in it now.

So, what to do? I honestly don't know. I'll say some extra prayers for the world leaders and those who lost loved ones that day, and avoid network TV. That's probably not right for everyone.
Post a Comment