Friday, August 23, 2002

ONE MORE THOUGHT
There's been some discussion of whether or not it's appropriate for Dreher to have published his article, and for us to be discussing the pope's judegement. Eve Tushnet makes the case that it is, and I'm inclined to agree.

But let's remember this the next time someone statrs dicussing women's ordination or some other Church policy that runs aginst "orthodox" lines. If it's acceptable to publicly discuss the pope's judgement, isn't it also acceptable to publicly discuss the Church's teachings?

Again I say it is. Not because the teachings need to change, but because these discussions strengthen the teaching, and lead us to explore the sources of them, and reveal them in their truth and beauty.

Unfortunately, I think many of those currently standing up for Dreher's right to ask questions will be the first ones to shout people down and call them "heterodox" or "heretics" when they start "asking questions" about Church teachings.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope the Holy Spirit is present right now showing these folks that honest discussion is the ally, not enemy, of Church teaching.
Post a Comment