Wednesday, July 10, 2002

NO WINNERS HERE
I know it wasn't anybody's fault, but I couldn't help but think that Bud Selig got the All-Star game he deserved -- no winner. That's probably how the labor dispute will play out as well.

I was watching the end of the game mostly out of morbid curiosity about what would happen. It's always fun to see the last guy in the bullpen pitch 6 innings of relief in an extra inning game. I was wondering how it would end.

One solution that nobody mentioned -- what if Freddy Garcia just threw batting practice fastballs in the bottom of the 11th (or 10th) and let the NL score a run? Yes, that would have negated the "competitive" nature of the game, but "commissioner declares the game a tie" already had a WWF (now WWE) feel to it. I guess it's a pride thing -- Garcia would rather not just throw the game, but I think even a bogus NL win would have been more satisfying than a time-limit draw (oops, "tie", I keep forgetting this isn't the WWF).

I also think the montages in the beginning of the game have gotten a bit tiresome (even if this year's was sponsored by my employer). It was special to review the Century's best players in 1999 and 2000. Now, it seems that we're going to be treated to these pre-produced packages every year. Sure, there were some great moments, and it was nice to see Willie Mays and Hank Aaron, but play ball! The game didn't even start until 8:00 Central Time. When I was a kid growing up on the East Coast, my bed time was 9:00. Maybe my folks would have let me stay up for the first inning, maybe not.

I have to admit I teared up when I saw Matt Morris flash "DK" and "57" when he was introduced. I could tell Benito Santiago was moved as well. It's strange -- I don't personally know Darryl Kile or any of the Cardinals, but his death still hit me hard. You watch a baseball team almost every day through the summer, and you start to feel like you know these guys (especially in St. Louis). All of us are grieving with the Cardinals over their lost teammate.

UPDATE: I wrote my "Freddy Garcia should throw batting practice fastballs" stuff before I read Rob Neyer's column which voiced a similar idea, though this tiime recommending that Garcia do it to save his arm, not to prevent a tie.
Post a Comment