Monday, July 08, 2002

MY LITURGICAL BEEF
I know I've come down against whining on blogs about liturgical practices, but this is one that needs to end -- the reading of a one sentence "explanation" of the readings before they are proclaimed.

Sometimes these come from the Lectionary, other times from other sources. Yesterday, each explanation tied the readings to a theme of gratitude for our country's good fortune. Seems like that should have been in the homily (except the homily was from a visting missionary giving his usual spiel that touched on Sunday's readings for about 10 seconds in the 10+ minute homily).

Why don't we simply trust the Word, and trust the Church to hear it correctly? I don't need to know that "Today, Paul instructs the Church of Corinth about the importance of love" in order to hear what Paul has to say about love. It seems to me that these "explanations" are a compensation for poor proclamation and poor homilies. It seems to me that if the readings are being proclaimed effectively, and explored adequately in the homily, no explanation should be neccesary.

And if there's on thing I don't need, it's to have some "theme" pounded into my head, and to have the readings shoehorned into that theme, whether they fit or not.

When will we simply trust the Word? When will we trust each other? Why must I prejudice your hearing of God's Word with my interpretation of it?

Post a Comment