Wednesday, May 29, 2002

THE LAST ATTACK OF THE CLONES REVIEW ON THE WEB
Went to see Attack fo Clones Monday night. I had seen the re-eleases of the orginal trilogy and The Phantom Menace in the first week fo their release, so this was a new time record for me (I guess marriage can do that to a person).

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action was great, the story was engaging, and there were lots of "rewards" there for loyal fans who were familiar with the original trlogy. I didn't think it got bogged down in talk -- there was plenty of action.

Self-awareness

Still, there's some magic there that's missing from this trilogy. I think it has to do with my own self-awareness.

I know that Anakin Skywalker is going to fall to the Dark Side. I know that he and Amidala will get together. I know that Skywalker, Yoda, and Kenobi will all survive. I know most of the other charcters ultimately won't.

I'm also aware that this is the second movie fo a trilogy, so I know that the movie won't end with final resolution.

I wish I could suspend this and enjoy the ride, but I can't. Indeed, as I mentioned above, the movie invites me to engage my knowledge about the original trilogy.

Watching the first trilogy, you thought that anything could happen. Now, I know roughly what's going to happen.

It's like watching a football game when I've already heard the final score. You'll notice that when someone tapes such a game to watch later, he will usually go to great lengths to avoid hearing the score before he has a chance to watch the game. Why? Because the suspense is part of the drama. Sure, the individual plays can be appreciated on their own. But outside the context of a game whose outcome is in doubt, it loses some drama.

The Yoda Scene
I enjoyed the Yoda lightsaber scene, but was disappointed that it played as a bit of comedy in the theater I watched the movie in. This was where it was really hard to suspend disbelief. Yoda's been walking wiht his walking stick, and all of a sudden he straightens up, discards the stick, and grabs his saber.

How does he do that? Is it the Force? If so, why does he need the stick when he's not fighting? Does he only use the Force when neccesary? These aren't questions I should be asking.

Conclusion
I had a great time at the movie, but not like I did at the first three. That may have more to do with me than the movie.
Post a Comment