Thursday, March 07, 2002

MY OTHER EXCUSE FOR LACK OF POSTS
The same as Tony Adragna -- not much to say.

Actually, it will be interesting to see how the blogger phenomenon matures once people have aired all their pet peeves. Most pundits only write two columns a week, and it's their day job. The typical blogger puts out four or five dipatches a day.

But what happens when you've said everything there is to say? It's kind of like Paul Reiser wrote about marriage -- After a while, you've shared all your stories, and told all your jokes, so what do we do now? Maybe we'll just read.

And I think most of us don't want to devolve into a parasitic "Check this out, it's cool" type of link-fest, so it will be a challenge for us (it may be a bit presumptuous to include myself in the community) to stay fresh.

That's one of the reasons I was playing with "News Site Watch" -- it would force me to post something new on here every day, and expose me to the day's top stories. Eventually, though, it was more of a job than a joy, and since my daily hit counts are usually in the single digits, it didn't make sense for me to continue.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens. In the past week a number of prominent bloggers have hung "Gone for a while" signs on their blogs including Jacobs, Postrel, and Welch. Others, such as Sullivan and Reynolds, seem to be immune from burnout and keep up a hectic posting pace regardless of what's going on in their lives.

Will the blog world be dominated by a few stalwarts like Sullivan and Reynolds and otherwise be populated by flame-outs, who pretty much say what's been on their minds for years, the run out of things to say?

I never stop yelling at my TV, which gives me some hope that I won't run out of things to say here.
Post a Comment