Thursday, March 21, 2002

ANDREW SULLIVAN ECHOES
my thoughts about sexual morality's place in the Church. But he goes a bit farther than I would.

I agree that some Church conservatives like Dreher place sexual morality on a higher plane than it should be. It seems that they'd be OK with a Catholic who was iffy about the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and Jesus's calls for social justice, so long as they were in lock-step about birth control. But I disagree that the American Church is "obsessed with sex." As Dreher has noted, one could attend Mass every week for years on end before one would hear a priest address sexual morality in his homily.

I think the Church's teachings on sexuality are important, and I also think they've been somewhat distorted into "Catholics think sex is dirty." I don't think the answer to this scandal is to define our standards down to the lowest common denominator just so we can be open. But I do think we have to stop demonizing people's natural urges and recognize the difference between thoughts and actions.
Post a Comment