Wednesday, February 06, 2002

THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF CROWING IN CONSERVATIVE CIRCLES
not to mention the Corner, about this article concerning, mostly, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee's commuting and travelling habits. Seems she is "chauffered" the one block to work in a government issued car with a government employee driver, and generally insists that people treat her like royalty.

Maybe I'm "soft on limousine liberals," but I just can't get excited about this. First of all, the car is a Ford Contour, which Ford no longer makes, so it can't be new, and is hardly a limousine. Heck, I drive a Contour to work every morning, and I don't exactly attract envious glances from my fellow commuters. Secondly, the car is likely used for other government purposes, so using it to take Rep. Jackson-Lee to work every day may be within the letter, if not the spirit of the law. Thirdly, a lot of the stories about Jackson-Lee's behavior toward airline employees sound suspiciously like they were exaggerated by a reporter with an axe to grind.

Jackson-Lee may not be a nice person, and may treat her staff poorly. That's not really my concern, since she's not my representative, and I don't have to deal with her personally. I just don't see the need to villify her over a daily one block ride in a Ford Contour.
Post a Comment