Friday, February 01, 2002

ON THE TODAY SHOW
A couple of days after the President's State of the Union reminded us all of the threats we still face from terrorism, and two days before the Super Bowl, Matt Lauer says "all eyes are on Enron," leading to a long piece about the lifestyles of Enron executives inclusing the houses they lived in and the cars they drove. My favorite quote -- "Enron brought Houston to the big leagues." Really? I thought Houston was the fifth largest city in the country and had been for some time. I thought it was home to sompanies like Compaq and NASA. But it needed Enron to get to the "big leagues?" I'm starting to get a little tired of this, "Enron is even bigger than you can possibly imagine" stuff coming from the media. It's a big deal, but it isn't the end of the world as we know it.

But that's not Today's worst sin of the morning. The worst was when Matt Lauer had on the host of The Fear Factor to discuss the burning journalistic question of whether NBC's broadcast of the Playmates (who says I'm above putting provacative words in my post to attract cheap Google hits) on The Fear Factor was good entertainment or a cheap ratings stunt.

I have a better question -- when a network's morning news program devotes 7 minutes to discussing the tastefulness of that networks own trashy ratings stunt, is it good solid journalism or corporate "synergy" run amok?

As for me, I switched channels to ESPN...
Post a Comment